Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Do Young Kim/Field of Catharsis/Thursday 1-3pm

             It was green below with all the yellow and white lines marking the distance in yards on both to my left and right. The sky was blue with the sun shining down on me as I absorbed all the sunlight like a solar panel. It almost felt like I was going through photosynthesis with all the sunlight my skin was absorbing. I felt as if I was burnt to crisp like a pie that was left in the oven for too long. And my eyes were fixed on the end zone with a colossal yellow field goal post straight ahead of me. The sweat was dripping down inside my helmet like a waterfall, and there were 11 bruisers in front of me as they were creeping closer and closer to take me down as soon as the signal was given. And then I heard "hut", and I charged into hellfire as those monsters that were waiting just on the other side swarmed over me like locusts.


They were coming for me with all they got. They were going to impound me like a junk car. In the midst of that chaos, I saw the light. It was tiny but I could squeeze in. And that tiny ray of light was all I could follow at the moment. I ducked my head and just charged like a bull straight ahead. When I looked up again, I was in the light and I have escaped from the pit of hell. I could see nothing but green grass down the field and the massive field goal post was there to greet me. I ran in joy and excitement towards it as I knew that was my promised land. With the escape, came the catharsis. It was pure joy and excitement as I left everyone in the dust and marched across that last white line with the whistle blowing signaling the end of my run. This was all that I ran for and this was all that mattered.


I opened my eyes and I looked at where I was standing. It was still green with all the yellow and white lines marking the distance in yards both left and right. I looked straight ahead and I still saw the same colossal yellow field goal post down the field. And I looked up to check the sky but it was dark with just some stars shining over me. Then I realized that time has passed and the sun was no longer shining above me. Then my eyes came back to Earth and I looked again to see what was in front of me. There was nothing. No bloodthirsty bruisers, no huts, no whistles, nothing. I took my hands to my face and I felt no sweat. But the bit of catharsis was still there in my system as I felt some joy and excitement. But everything else, were just my projections from memory. For a moment, I was completely away from this world and time and I forgot about everything else that was haunting me in life. The buzz and high began to wear off and I started to walk off of the field and I got in my car to head home. As I was starting my car, I saw myself grin in the rear-view mirror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment