Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Eun Dana/ The house full of favorites/Thurs 1-3pm

I've never seen a place like it before. It was like a village I would see in television or movies. Every house had bit of lawn that was green and shiny with liveliness. The houses seemed like they came out of fairy tale. Some were built in bricks on ground level with small but beautiful garden. Some were modern two story duplexes in colors of white, yellow, blue and more. Wide cemented roads stretched all the way till a stop sign appeared and it split into two opposite directions. At the far end of the road, on the left corner, was a white duplex with navy rooftops. That was my home back in the states.

 

The ground floor was in bricks and wide window right next to the front door enabled us to see who was outside the house. In front of the window, little bush was planted and it prevented showing everything inside. When you enter the front door, a staircase covered in dark ivory carpet appeared in front and a door to the garage was on the left. If someone was coming out of garage and the front door was swung open, it would collide and that person could not come out. To the left was living room with green sofa, a television, a rocking chair, and the best of all, fire place. Who would have known I could be living in a house with a fireplace? I loved fireplace in winter. Not only it heated our home but I loved the sound of woods cracking and the scent that it gave. It felt like christmas and holiday.

 

Behind the sofa was the table and the kitchen. A counter was forming a rectangular shape separating the kitchen from the table in the living room. When I came back from school, mom would be in kitchen cooking snacks for us. Next to the kitchen was the back door to the backyard. and to the left was parents' room. Mom, Dad and my little brother used to sleep in that room since he was so little back then.

 

When you went up to the second floor, three rooms were there. The biggest room with biggest wardrobe was my sister's, obviously, and the one next to it was my room. White walls had posters of my favorite band, a wooden desk was on the right corner and next to it was the bed with yellow striped sheets and blanket. The other room was used as computer room. A restroom was between my sister's room and the computer room. It was surprising to see that the restroom also had carpets. It became a mess when anyone forgot to have the shower curtain placed inside the bath tub.

 

The neighborhood was great. On sunny days, people held garage sales and that was an extraordinary experience for me. In summer, we installed a water slide in the lawn and all the kids hung out together. On halloween, every house would put some kind of decoration in their lawn and I went trick or treating with friends. In winter, the houses were decorated in fairy lights and it looked like I was at an amusement park parade. They were in shapes of sleighs, reindeer, santa clause and more. I cannot forget the atmosphere and the spirit it had in that neighborhood. I have spent the most amazing and special moments in that house and in that neighborhood. Whenever I think of it, it gives me a sense of nostalgia.

 

1 comment:

  1. The House Full of Favorites.
    I have never seen a place like it before. It was like a village I would see in television shows or movies. I was much excited and shouted with happiness, “THIS is where we’re going to live from now on?” Every house had bit of lawn that was green with liveliness and shining under sunlight. The houses seemed like they came out of fairy tale. Some were built in bricks on ground level with small but beautiful garden. Some were modern two storied duplexes in colors of white, yellow, blue and more. Wide cemented roads stretched all the way till a stop sign appeared and it split into two opposite directions. At the far end of the road, on the left corner, was a white duplex with navy rooftops. That was my home back in the states.

    The front side of ground floor was in bricks and three windows were on the right side of the front door. Through the door, my family could see who was coming and who was outside the house. In front of the window, little bushes were planted and it kind of blocked the half of the windows keeping the privacy of our home. When you enter the house, a staircase covered in ivory carpet appeared in front and a door to the garage was on the left. If someone was coming out of garage and the front door was swung open, two doors would collide and that person could not come out. To the right was living room with green sofa, a television, a rocking chair, and the best of all, a fire place. Who would have known I could be living in a house with a fireplace? I adored fireplace in winter. Not only it heated our home but I loved the sound of crackling fire and the smoky and woody scent that it gave. I don’t know why but it reminded me of Christmas and holiday seasons.

    Behind the sofa was a wooden table and the kitchen. A counter was forming a rectangular shape separating the kitchen and the table. When I came back from school, mom would be in kitchen cooking snacks for us. With a warm smile, she would say “Welcome home sweetie! Go and wash your hands first, I made burritos today.” On the left of the kitchen entrance was a door heading to the backyard and opposite to the kitchen was parents’ room. My mom, dad and little brother used to sleep in that room together since he was so little back then. A bathroom was next to it with two doors, one leading to the parents’ room and the other one leading to the living room.

    When you went up to the second floor, three rooms were there. The biggest room with biggest wardrobe was my sister’s, obviously, and the one opposite to it was my room. A window was on the very opposite side of the door and white walls were covered with posters of my favorite band. A wooden desk was on the right corner and next to it was the bed with yellow striped sheets and a fluffy down quilt in flower patterns. I would snuggle down in bed with windows open, and fresh breeze whiffled creating a peaceful afternoon. The other room was used as a computer room and also as a guest’s room. A bathroom was between my sister’s room and the computer room. It was surprising to see that the restroom also had carpets but they were in dark red unlike the ivory color covering the whole house. It became a mess when anyone forgot to have the shower curtain placed inside the bath tub. The water was splattered all over and it was not easy to dry them.

    On sunny days, neighbors held garage sales and my family wandered around looking for things we might need. In summer, we installed a water slide in the lawn and all the kids from the neighborhood hung out together. On halloween, every house would put some kind of decoration in their lawn and I went trick or treating with friends. In winter, the houses were decorated in fairy lights and it looked like the ones I saw at an amusement park. They were in shapes of sleighs, reindeer, santa clause and more. I cannot forget the atmosphere and the spirit of the neighborhood and the memories I had in that house full of favorites.

    ReplyDelete