Tuesday, December 1, 2015

CHOI SEA HEE(최세희)/interviewing my mom/Thu 1-3pm

It was such a sunny day on Sunday morning. Whenever I open my eyes in the morning, my dog named Ggogi comes by me with bright eyes, shaking her tail. I turned on the song named 'Come away with me' by Norah Jones, and got ready to eat breakfast. Just being in my room, I can hear busy clattering sound by my mom in the kitchen. I can tell that she is preparing breakfast for my family.

 

Walked out from my room, I saw her wearing a light blue sleep wear dress with sleepy eyes. I helped her set the table. My family is busy on weekday, so Sunday is the only day we can spend our time together. We all sat down and started eating the food.

 

I asked my mom how she chose to be a nursing professor. She seemed to be surprised about the questions that I threw all of sudden. She said "Well, I wasn't intended to be a professor when I just entered the university at first. I didn't even have a plan to major in nursing when I was a high school student." She gave a little meat to the dog with smile, continuing "I was the third kid in my family. My oldest brother majored in engineering but, throughout the university he was so into broadcasting. He seemed like he wasn't interested in getting a job." She stopped for a while, drinking a cup of water. She seemed like she is reminiscing those days. "My older sister majored in Chemistry. But she wanted to enter the graduate school to study more."

 

She ate a bite of rice with Kimchi. "When I was at the age of 13, my dad died. My mom spent her whole life working to make money to support us as a real breadwinner. We needed someone who can make money as soon as possible. And that was me. So, I chose to major in Nursing. At that time, majoring in Nursing meant getting a job right after graduating." She petted my dog with warm eyes then looked at me calmly. "I worked as a nurse in a university hospital, and earned money. I know that I shouldn't have done this at that time, but, I decided to be a professor and entered graduate school. And at the same time, I had to make money to pay for my tuition. Whenever I think of those days, the only word I can say is 'painful'." I looked at her quietly and waited until she says more.

 

While cleaning up the table, she said "But, I don't' regret my choice. By doing so, I make more money than I earned before as a nurse and also I feel more satisfied when teaching students." She put the dishes in the sink. "Se Hee, so don't hesitate, when you set the goal. You will find it wonderful after all."

 

3 comments:

  1. [Writer's Plan for Revising]
    1. The essay was a bit difficult. I wanted to translate my mom's saying vividly into English but, I think I need to work more on that. If I get a chance to do the interview over, I want to focus on her act, the voice tone and minor facial expressions.
    2. I like the third paragraph. I think I delivered quite nicely what she wanted to say.
    3. I'd like to include more details on how she studied to become a professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~It's Kyeong Ju :) I can't believe your mother majored in nursing because my mom did too! I was able to agree with you on the part that when you major in nursing, you don't have to worry about not getting a nursing job. I totally think your mother made a wise decision to becoming a professor. Anyway, what a coincidence! While I was reading, I wondered what work your mother had to do to pay for tuition because your mother described it as "painful". I would like to know more about that. I especially liked the part where your mother says that she doesn't regret her decision back then. I really like the quote "so don't hesitate, when you set the goal. You will find it wonderful after all." This quote seem to summarize your whole writing and I think this was the main thesis of your essay. I think there was just the right amount of quotes in your essay. I liked how you described your mother eating at the table and at the same time answering your questions. I could really imagine what was happening. Overall it was very good! I wish you could have written more about your mother! The story ended too quickly. Anyways, I enjoyed your writing :) See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a sunny day on Sunday morning. Whenever I open my eyes in the morning, my dog named Ggogi comes by me with bright eyes, shaking her tail. I turned on the song named ‘Come away with me’ by Norah Jones, and got ready to eat breakfast. Just being in my room, I can hear busy clattering sound by my mom in the kitchen. I can tell that she is preparing breakfast for my family.

    Walked out from my room, I saw her wearing a light blue sleep wear dress with sleepy eyes. I helped her set the table. My family is busy on weekdays, so Sunday is the only day we can spend our time together. We all sat down and started eating the food.

    I asked my mom how she chose to be a nursing professor. She seemed to be surprised about the questions that I threw all of sudden. She said “Well, I wasn’t intended to be a professor when I just entered the university at first. I didn’t even have a plan to major in nursing when I was a high school student.” She gave a little meat to the dog with smile, continuing “I was the third kid in my family. My oldest brother majored in engineering but, throughout the university he was so into broadcasting. He seemed like he wasn’t interested in getting a job.” She stopped for a while, drinking a cup of water. She seemed like she is reminiscing those days. “My older sister majored in Chemistry. But she wanted to enter the graduate school to study more.”

    What she told me was this. When she was at the age of 13, my grandfather died. So, my grandmother spent her whole life working to make money to support her children as a real breadwinner. They needed someone who can make money as soon as possible. And that was my mom. So, she chose to major in Nursing. At that time, majoring in Nursing meant getting a job right after graduating. She petted my dog with warm eyes then looked at me calmly. “I worked as a nurse in a university hospital, and earned money. I know that it wasn’t really a good choice to do this at that time, but, I decided to be a professor and entered graduate school. You wouldn’t believe how my mom scolded me for having that dream. She told me she would never support me financially. I had to make money to pay for my tuition. Whenever I think of those days, the only word I can say is ‘painful’.” I looked at her quietly and waited until she says more.

    The point is this. Before entering the graduate university, she got married with my Dad and had me. At that time, she had to study, take care of me, and earn money. I can feel the pain she had by just listening to her. She seemed like she is sick and tired of those days.

    While cleaning up the table, she said “But, I don’t’ regret my choice. By doing so, I make more money than I earned before as a nurse and also I feel more satisfied and proud of myself when teaching students.” She put the dishes in the sink. “Se Hee, so don’t hesitate, when you set the goal. You will find it wonderful after all.”

    ReplyDelete