Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Kim Donghee/His Childhood/Thursday 1-3



It was Saturday night, my father and I were in his room, him lying on the bed and I sitting on the desk next to him. It oddly seemed like we were doing some sort of a counselling, like I am his psychiatrist. However the mood was not that serious. It was both comfort and a bit awkward was; with my younger sister in the session with us. She didn't really speak but occasionally she would laugh as she listened to dad's talking.

He mentioned one or two about his childhood before, but I didn't have thorough explanation about him as a child. I know that he went through rough childhood just like most of the South Korean children in the 1970s. So I started from there, asked about his life as a childhood in the rural area. "It was a hard time. My family lived in the countryside. You, a girl living in this huge metropolis would never even imagine, there was nothing but endless rice paddy. That does not mean I had nothing to play. Kids always find out ways to play. My friends and I always found out something or somewhere. A small stream was always the best place for us."

When I asked him if he has any specific event he remembers which happened in his childhood, he sat up and paused for a long time, tracing his memory back. While deep in thougth, he said that he was always hungry and most of the time he was miserable because his family was so poor and there weere so many family members that no one cared about a little child who wasn't even the oldest boy in the family. Then he asked me, like some memory came up to him, if I know a rice puffing machine. I have never saw one by myself but heard about it so I answered yes. A rice puffing machine is literally a machine that puffs rice or other grains into popcorn-like treats. It used to be a common thing on the streets of South Korea until about twenty years ago. When he was young, the peddler with this machine occasionally visited the village and did the puffing in exchange for money. However his mother gave neither grains nor money to my father. So every time the merchant visited, he just sat there with bunch of other kids who also failed to get grains and money from their parents, and waited until it makes a huge pop sound to pick up and eat some of the puffed grains fallen on the ground. "It was one of the few occasions where I can eat some treats." He said smiling lightly. "But that is not what I am going to talk about—something really bad happened one day."

Just like other days, he was sitting next to the rice puffing machine waiting for the machine to make a pop sound. When it finally did, he rushed with other kids to grab some on the ground and that was when he got his back burned by the machine. He screamed; it hurt like hell. It was moments after that he finally was able to stand up. If it were not for his friends, he wouldn't even have gotten home by himself. His mother saw his son coming home crying, leaning against his friends, and scolded him for being so careless. However she was the only one who actually cared about my father, so it was her who also treated him, even though the treatment was nothing but applying soybean paste on the wound. "We didn't have proper medical institution, and even if we did we couldn't have afforded it. Soybean paste was the best medication we could get." Obviously the wound didn't heal well and it ended up lasting unhealed until the next winter came. He still has the big scar on his back. He showed it to me as if it was nothing, in fact he told me the whole story like it was a common thing, like he has overcome those hard days, but it still sounded bad to me and I frowned as I watch the ugly scar on his back.

I asked him the final question, "How do you feel towards your childhood? Do you feel happy? Regretful? Or angry?" "To be frank, I feel nothing. I do not believe that going through bad childhood means ending up as failure." He explained to me that what he experienced in the past is who he is today. Though the experience cannot always be pleasant, from it the strength to go on comes, like patience and courage which eventually becomes your asset. "I know these days it is different and somewhat more difficult. In my days poverty was the biggest problem. Now other things like getting job are the biggest problems. But do not let those difficulties drag you down."

4 comments:

  1. Hi I am SEA HEE CHOI, one of your classmates.
    1. I liked your essay especially the part where your father's mom put soybean paste on the scar. My dad also told me that when he got stung by a bee, my grandmother used to put soybean paste on there.
    2. I think the sentence that “That does not mean I had nothing to play. Kids always find out ways to play. My friends and I always found out something or somewhere. A small stream was always the best place for us.” is a bit out of focus. Maybe you can mention more about how poor he was.
    3. The most important idea that emerged from the interview is that however, your dad spent his childhood very poorly, he doesn’t think badly about the life he went through.
    4. "But that is not what I am going to talk about—something really bad happened one day." I think this sentence was effectinve.
    5. I think quotations were enough.
    6. I think it will be much better if you put more details on how he acted throughout the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~ Ths is Kyeong Ju Seo. I really liked how your father focused on talking about one single big event in great detail. Reading about the rice puffing machines made me smile reminding me of the times I ate 뻥튀기 with my friends when I was young. That tasted awesome. About the part where you father gets his back burned by the machine, I was like 'How did THAT happen?' I have no idea what those machines look like but they sure are dangerous. The theme of your writing wasn't directly mentioned but I think it might be this: Whether the childhood memories are good or bad, it greatly influences shaping one's life so there's no need to be discouraged by it. I got this idea mostly from the last paragraph you wrote. I think the quote " I do not believe that going through bad childhood means ending up as failure." is the one sentence that summarizes the whole writing. So I like that sentence most. I think you had the right number of quotes. I think the writing is very well written! Maybe it would be better if you show us why your father's memory of getting the scar is so important in the writing. Anyway, I really enjoyed your writing! :) See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm Dong YI Kang. I like your essay primarily because of the warm, easy, relaxed atmosphere you created by explaining the atmosphere of the interview before getting right at it. I can identify right with your details because it is familiar to me as well. But to deny you in one little detail, there are still 뻥튀기 machines in the streets. I totally respect your father through his interviews. Sometimes big men can share some things with ourselves as well. I love the details, both the event and his thoughts on the event. I also love how you balanced your questions and his answers! Perhaps some points of improvement may be more specific questions. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon, Donghee, this is Seo Young Yu~
    I loved how you conducted the interview, to tell the truth, the world interview sounds so serious but then you conduced in a comfortable atmosphere that it was easier for your dad to speak about the event in his childhood.
    I also loved your descriptions about the event durng your dad's childhood, because they are very warm and familar. I guess your dad are around the same age with my parents.
    Your quotaitons are well balanced but maybe you could add more details to your writing, I was wondring what was your question to your dad at the begining of the interview and how he got his wound on his back and how the event meant for him.
    Thank you so much sharing and I would love to discuss more in the class!!

    See you in the class!

    ReplyDelete