Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Do Young Kim/Art of Persuasion(Week 2)/Thursday 1-3pm

       Writing to me was an art of persuasion. Writing helped me persuade many over the course of my life and I remember that my mother was the first one I persuaded with my writing. And this art of persuasion all started when I was just a little kid.


       When I was a little kid, I wanted many toys. Collecting toys made me feel rich and powerful compared to all the other children in my class and I wanted to just be the most toy rich kid in the school. But as a little kid, I could only get the toys that my mother bought me. This left me no choice but to beg my mom to get the toys I wanted because she was the only means to get what I wanted. But persuading my mother was a much greater challenge than I thought.  


       I tried to be cute, I begged on my knees, I gave her a massage, and I did all sorts of other things any child could humanly do to get just one toy that I wanted. However, my mother was stubborn and she would not budge unless she felt that I deserved what I was getting. Simply put, she was just not the type to spoil her children with toys and gifts. So one day, when I was just tired of begging and sorts, I just left her a letter on her bed for her to listing the reasons why I had to get the toy I wanted so badly. Strangely, the letter worked like magic and she surprised me the next day with the toy I wanted for so long.


       Later on, I asked her why she gave me that toy after just a single letter. She told me that she was proud that I wrote the letter neatly without any spelling errors and she felt happy that I was a much better writer than she thought I would be. To me, this memory defines what writing is to me, an art of persuasion. The pen is mightier than the sword indeed. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Do Young, this is Jeong Eun. Your writing really made me smile :) How cute is that boy trying to persuade his mom to get him a toy. And yes, that's what we used to do, giving some massage to our parents and promising to eat our beans, to get what we wanted. I could really relate to your story. A little toy means a world for children and they would do everything for it! One little thing is that if would've been ever better if you wrote more about the letter. I really want to know what reasons there could be a little boy can think of. Enjoyed your writing and see you in class!

    ReplyDelete