Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Hye Hyon Kim/ Blog Writing Experience/ Thursday 1pm

My experience with blog writing is not profound. I have kept various blogs in the past, but they all failed to last. I currently have a blog account at Tistory.com but even that page is not used for writing but is used to upload pictures I take with my camera. One social media I use frequently is Tumblr and the only writing I have done on that site was to upload my poems. Last year, I was staying in America and during the 3 and half months of summer holidays, I came upon a spoken word poet called Sarah Kay. While I was listening to her speech on TED, I found out that there was a poetry challenge called, 'A Poem A Day' where poets write a new poem every day. I used my Tumblr blog to upload poems through the month of July and August. This year, I created a separate blog page just for my poems and carried out the challenge again through July to August. I like writing on Tumblr because it is not just a writing blog. There are many posts you can see related to your interests. There are writings and quotes, but there are also pictures, GIFs and news articles of powerful movements which are spread across the world by reblogging posts. I think it take a lot of courage to expose your writing onto a website that is open to public. However, it was easier for me to write on Tumblr because it wasn't a space just for my writing but also where I could collect pictures and funny video clips. I felt like the people who were viewing my work could also got to know a part of me while they read my poems. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It was great to read your posting about your writing experience! I came to know that you have been interested in using blogs for diverse purposes and you are definitely using it well. You seem a lot passionate about poems which was at first surprising but it's obviously awesome! Besides, I agree with the point that Tumblr is practical even though I had used it only for posting my writing. I will someday search and upload it for different goals as you said. Thank you for all the information and see you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Kim Jeong Eun. I am surprised that you write peoms! On Tumblr! Seriously that not a thing I would do - I don't write and I'm quite afraid of being juged. But posting your poems on Tumblr, that is really cool! It would've been much great if you shared a glance of your peom :) And yes, Tumblr really is a good social media, I agree. There are so many good writings on it. Enjoyed your writing and see you in class!

    ReplyDelete