Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Hyo Jeong Lim/ 2nd Assignment/Thu 13-15

I bet that all of you know "Kangaroo generation." It means that children who are old enough to independent still get all kinds of aid from their parents including financial aid. Because of them, parents who are about to retire or already retired still have to worry about their children's lives, not their own last years.

 

 

About 2-year ago, my dad finally retired. It was not sad or tragic like I heard from others. Little bit worried about parent's later years but we all know he could still work after the retirement as a freelancer and more important, my mom, she is still working even now. But things did not work out what we expected. He looked kind of empty sometimes. And I felt not good whenever I saw him looking blue. We, my family, all know that he had worked so hard for his entire life. So I want to tell him that It is time for you to take some rest. But I still know that nothing is going to better if he could not get another work.

 

Few months later, I got paid from my work. So I planned surprise event for my dad. It was 2weeks long travel through Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Paris and small city of Germany. "It is too expensive for you to pay for all of them. I'm okay, Let's just have a dinner then" he said, when I told him about the travel first. "Very good idea, daughter. I could not even think about that. I am proud of you" what mom said when I told her the travel. I was happy about my mom understanding me to not going with her because it was planned for dad from the beginning.

 

Finally, the travel for only two began. I had worried about long flight but he did not look bad and that seemed like lucky signal for me. We went many places, ate loads of great food and took as many pictures as we could. We even had a beer at the hotel's bar or small pub every night. When we was in Paris, we had been to Eiffel Tower-unfortunately, the day we visited the tower, there were too many tourist so we had to walk up the tower- He looked really happy, and I was happy for looking him happy.

 

The final day of travel, when we had a beer at the local pub as usual, he told me "Thank you daughter." I almost cried when I heard that. In return flight, I was thinking that this remains as one of the best things that I ever done. It costs a lot, I mean really lot but I could earn more than the money I spent. I will never forget that moment, his face, and even his eyes. I do not mean that getting aid from parents is a bad thing. But as my decision meant a lot in my life and every single thing of the moment is still crystal clear to me, I want to say that it is time for us to think about our parents just one more time than before because we are getting grow up. If you do that, you will be happier than now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment