Tuesday, October 6, 2015

MinGu Lee / My Friend / Thursday 1-3pm

"Hey, you play Starcraft too?" This was the first question I got from this person while talking to another classmate about the Starcraft league game last night. As I looked up, what I had seen was 2 big eyes with long, untidy hair. Back then, playing and watching games was a common thing to high school students. When I found out that he is the strongest player in class, he instantly became my best friend.

 

  "I don't want to stay here and do boring math problems" he said after class. "Hey why don't we runaway during school time and comeback when it finishes?" he added. Back then I thought he was crazy, and I still do. We started making false alibis. Since we were actively participating in after school activities, we told our teacher that we needed to go to some places to get funded. "If we don't go, our club will be over." This small boy always looked tall when he had something to say to the teacher. We were like two bad cowboys trying to find a town to loot. However, he never looted anything with subservient voice. He was certain, calm, and strong. There wasn't a single day we were refused.

 

  Whenever we got out, we had so many things to do. We played Starcraft(He was super good at it), went to the Karaoke, rode on bicycles. But most of the time we sat down on a bench and talked about our present and future. "I want to do something awesome." He usually said. Since we were attending a private school, the classes were hard and boring. Therefore, our talks never seemed to dry up. One day we were talking about this teacher, and the other day we invited peer guest to talk about the teacher with us. Amazingly fun, incredibly joyful, I must say.

 

  At that time, teachers and parents hated us. They wanted their child to stay away from us because they thought we were bad influence. "They never seem to study!" was the actual quote my parents heard from another parent during the class meeting. However, I would say that we had dreams. A dream that could never be fulfilled while in class from 8 am to 11 pm. Not only that, but our friendship lived on and we are close more than ever. I am certain that I would never sacrifice my high school memories to achieve something else because of the memories that I have with him. "Yes, I love Starcraft! Why don't we play a game?" and this was my first answer to him.

3 comments:

  1. Hello MinGu :) I thought your essay was fun to read.

    1. I thought your friend was an enjoy-life type of person that usually gets his ways using proper language skills although it meant putting up with breaking the rules.

    2. These are the 3 details I found in your writing to support my sentence for step one. First of all, your friend said he doesn't want to stay in school just doing their math problems. Next, your friend did not hesitate to runaway during school time to play Starcraft, do Karaoke and ride bicycles. Also, whenever he lied to his teachers, he fooled them by being certain, calm and strong.

    3. Your friend looked like he had 2 big eyes with long, untidy hair. Your friend's first question was asking whether you played Starcraft or not. Teachers and parents would say that he was a bad influence and that he never seemed to study.

    4. You mentioned in your writing that you and your friend had 'dreams'. I think it would be nice if you mention more about what your dreams were.

    5. I assume you wrote about him because he was your best friend throughout your highschool years.

    6. I think in your next draft, I would like to know more about your friend's appearance and personality.

    Overall, I really liked your writing, see you in class!
    -Kyeong Ju Seo-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mingu, this is Mi Hyeon. I enjoyed your descriptive essay on your friend!
    1. I think your friend is a person who enjoys game a lot but also knows how to think deep about his life
    2. He is a person who enjoys starcraft, like to hang out with friends and also knows how to talk about his dreams. The dream part was especially surprising because most of my friends at that age did not really have a future plan or dream. Their goal was to enter into prestigous universities.
    3. He looks very plain I guess? and has long untidy hair. He said to you "why don't we hang out?" and also he acted upon it! He is calm and strong but some other people misunderstands him about not studying..
    4. I did not have any part where I could not understand.
    5. I think Mingu chose this person because he is one of the most cherishing memories of his high school
    6. I have two questions, What is he doing now? and also, did you guys really not study at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mingu, this is Seo Young Yu. Thank you so much for sharing!

    1. Your friend likes to do fun stuffs. On the other hand, he takes his life really seriously, more seriously than adults think.
    2. He often talks about his dreams and future, I love that. Not many kids have dreams in that kind of situation. I can imagine a boy with sparkle eyes.
    3. There is no such parts that I did not understand.
    4. I love the structure since it is well organized and clear.
    5. I love to know what you guys do when you hang out now. Maybe some alcohol stories, haha?
    6. I would like to know what he is doing right now.

    ReplyDelete