Wednesday, October 7, 2015

MI HYEON SEO/ Observation diary/ Thur, 1-3pm

As a frequent traveler, I visited Seoul Intercity Bus Terminal to observe what other people were doing. Since the bus station is where people visit to travel another city or more, they all seemed very busy. Some people looked delighted about the travel that was about to begin, and some people seemed as if the place was where they come so often, that it was too obvious for them. Personally, although I had been to the bus station very often, I never observed what other people were doing. I, myself was also busy in that crowd to move around and to be on time for the bus. So when I sat on the bench situated in the waiting room, I felt disconnected, as if I was in different place to others.

After sitting on the bench for few minutes, I noticed a lady who was waiting for the bus. Her greyish hair, wrinkled eye rim, and a walking stick could tell that she was an elderly woman. The old lady wore flower printed shirt with linen pants which seemed very comfortable. She sat at the bench across where I sat, and was in the crowd who were watching the television, which was endlessly making sound to entertain those who were sitting absent-mindedly.

The old lady was one of them. But sooner or later she was fed up with the noisy box that she started to find something else that could interest her. She took out her 2G cellular phone, which is often considered to be behind the current fashion. The lady did not seem to be familiar with the little gadget in her hands. She carefully typed the keys one by one and called someone. I was unable to listen to her phone call, but the lady was very satisfied and happy. However, I could probably guess that it could have been her children or grandchildren.

When the phone call was finished, the lady again stared at the television. As another old lady came to her and asked something related to the television show, the two ladies started to have a conversation. The old lady who sat next to her said, "These days, it is hard to find a vacant place at public transportation. The young people would not make room for us to sit. They are so busy with their gadgets." And the lady who I was observing replied, "I know, it is very unfortunate. But what can we do about it? We cannot really force them to do so."

The two ladies were talking about the things that had happened to them at the subway or the bus. Since I had to leave in few minutes, I was unable to listen to the whole story. But that conversation had reminded me of my grandmothers. How would they be treated if they were on the public transportation?

As a result, this observation had made me feel something different. Away from the busy life that I was caught in, to be in the middle of a crowded place in my own quiet zone, I was able to see other people. Maybe it would be a good idea to sit on those chairs where I could have my own observation time.

No comments:

Post a Comment