Thursday, October 15, 2015

MinGu Lee / My Friend (Final) / Thurs 1-3pm

           "Hey, you play StarCraft too?" This was the first question I got from this person while talking to another classmate about the StarCraft league game last night. As I looked up, what I had seen was 2 big eyes with long, untidy hair. Back then, playing and watching games was a common thing to high school students. When I found out that he is the strongest player, he instantly became my best friend.

           "I don't want to stay here and do boring math problems" he said after class. "Hey why don't we runaway during school time and comeback when it finishes?" he added. Back then I thought he was crazy, and I still do. We started making false alibis. Since we were actively participating in after school activities, we told our teachers that we needed to go to some places to get funded. This was completely thrilling since we were still in our school uniforms. "If we don't go, our club will be over." This small boy always looked tall when he had something to say to the teacher. We were like two bad cowboys trying to find a town to loot. However, he never looted anything with a subservient voice. He was certain, calm, and strong. There wasn't a single day we got refused.

           Whenever we got out, we had so many things to do. We played StarCraft, went to the Karaoke, and rode on bicycles. His thin and long hands moved so fast when playing this game that my eyes weren't even able to catch up. But most of the time we sat down on a bench and talked about our present and future. "I want to do something awesome." He usually said and always kept his words. The reason was, we were attending a private school and the classes were hard and boring. Therefore, it was always easy to recall about the miserable day we had. One day we were talking about this teacher, and the other day we invited peer guest to talk about the teacher with us. Speaking about dreams was the second topic to visit our conversation. Amazingly fun, incredibly joyful, I must say.

 

           At that time, teachers and parents hated us. They wanted their child to stay away from us because they thought we were bad influence. "They never seem to study!" was the actual quote my parents heard from another parent during the class meeting. However, I would say we had dreams. A dream that could never be said while in class from 8 am to 11 pm. It wasn't just about getting into good universities nor about making a lot of money. It was about our life itself. Topics like how we should live and what belief we must have. This is actually the most valuable experience I had as a teenager. I am certain that I would never sacrifice my high school memories to achieve something else because of the memories that I have with him. I still meet him frequently, and we are still best friends. "Yes, I love StarCraft! Why don't we play a game?" and this was my first answer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment