Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Joo Hyun LEE/My mother/Thursday 1:00~3:00pm

     Do you know that one of the most important persons for me is my mother? What I envy her is that she is slender in figure and beautiful, and can, above all, eat everything she wants even late at night without worrying about the food's calories or getting fat. Indeed, she hasn't ever gone on a diet nor changed even a little in shape to this day whereas I easily gained about 5Kg when I was abroad as an exchange student. Surprisingly, her twenty-year-passed clothes still suit her, one of the reasons she seems to have a colossal wardrobe! She can therefore dress well as the fashion circle comes around again. However, in my case, I have only a few clothes depending greatly on whether I have gained or lost weight.

Not only does she seem taller than her real height as she has long racehorse legs, she also has strong but thin muscles everywhere which makes her look healthier and younger. In fact, her body ration is almost perfect having pretty features with big eyes, a sharp nose and an oval face. She probably appears much younger than she actually looks due to her clothing style, her body shape or even her straight long hair style which makes sharply contrast with other mothers. So when I go somewhere with my mother, people usually ask if we are sisters and do not believe when she reveals she is actually my mother. In the past, I was a bit annoyed as it felt like I looked old but now I am totally ok with that question. Indeed, I am proud of her. When she goes out, people usually say "You are really beautiful!" or "We can't believe you have already raised a university daughter and son!". They even ask her with conviction "Were you a ballerina or a supermodel?" But she actually majored in Physics! Even though she hears frequently those compliments, she seems to take pleasure in getting praised.

     Concerning her character, she has the heart of an angel with all the people, even those she has ever met before. She is kind, polite, charming and sociable. As an example, when we lived in France, she listened carefully to others and always took great care of her surroundings, having been an important member of her college alumni association. Besides, she always smiles and tries to be in a good mood when she goes out. However, my mother's unique negative point is that she is sometimes a rollercoaster with her close family. Though, I can perfectly understand her because it is nearly impossible to be always positive and lovely with everyone. But the problem is that sometimes her mood changes so rapidly and extremely that it is sometimes really difficult to consult her pleasure; something that was ok one day becomes a great error another day. Even though she sometimes gets some mood swings, she is, in my eyes, a nearly perfect mother as I believe that no one could be more cherubic than her! Not only is she beautiful, healthy and young but she also always cares about the others and wants to help them at any cost.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, This is Donghee. I can totally relate myself to you as my mom also looks much younger than she actually is and also really pretty with great fashion sense, just like your mom. You said your mom is slender with perfect body portion, long hair, beautiful face, making her really charming, and even more she has a great personality just except that she sometimes gets mood swings to the closest ones--her family, including you. Also I can see why you chose her as the topic, clearly, you love her, look up to her. I just wonder, how does she react when people praise her, especially for her beauty? It'd be great if you can add some actual quotation from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JooHyun, this is MinGu.
    From reading your essay, I was able to see that you have a wonderful mother. The way you described her looks, personalities, and attitudes, it was very clear for me to recognize your thoughts about your mother. The part where other people were surprised of her age provided more details, and I totally empathized with the part where your mother's mood rides on a rollercoaster! (My mother's mood changes a lot too...). I think you chose your mother to describe because she is like you role model. Your essay was clear and rich in expressions. In the future drafts, I would like to see valuable memories that you had with your mother. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you recognize the woman with a slender figure of about 1m70 wearing a black leather jacket, a simple but stylish white tee-shirt with dark blue skinny jeans and rose high heels? She seems in her late twenties or early thirties and if you look at her closely she has pretty features such as a small but oval face, big brown eyes, a sharp nose and a bright smile. She is wearing full make-up, using a black eyeliner and mascara to emphasize her eyes, a glittering purple shadow on her eyelids to match with the autumn colors and a red lipstick as it is the current trend with a little bit of rose blush on her cheeks to give her a global lovely and chic image. She also has long straight dark brown hair. This person is in fact my mother!

    What I envy her is that she is slim and beautiful, and can, above all, eat everything she wants even late at night without worrying about the food’s calories or getting fat. Indeed, she hasn’t ever gone on a diet nor changed even a little in shape to this day whereas I easily gained about five kilograms when I was abroad as an exchange student. Surprisingly, her twenty-year-passed clothes still suit her, one of the reasons she seems to have a colossal wardrobe! She can therefore dress well as the fashion circle comes around again. She used to wear fancy and trendy dresses in the past in France which gave her a definite feminine and sophisticated look but, now, in Korea she is putting on modern clothes such as jeans and skirts for her urban and chic style.

    Not only does she seem taller than her real height as she has long legs, she also has strong but thin muscles everywhere which makes her look healthier and younger. She probably appears much younger than she actually looks due to her clothing style, her body shape and even her hair style which makes a sharp contrast with other mothers. So when I go somewhere with my mother, people usually ask if we are sisters and do not believe when she reveals she is actually my mother. In the past, I was a bit annoyed as it felt like I looked old but now I am totally fine with that question. Indeed, I am proud of her. When she goes out, people usually say “You are really beautiful!” or “We can’t believe you have already raised university daughter and son!”. They even ask her with conviction “Were you a ballerina or a supermodel?” But she actually majored in Physics at college! She loves mathematics so she often helped me solve the mathematics problems when I was in high school. Even though she hears frequently those compliments, she seems to take pleasure in getting praised.

    Concerning her character, she has the heart of an angel with all the people, even with those she has ever met before. She is kind, polite, charming and sociable. As an example, when we lived in France, she listened carefully to others and always took great care of her surroundings, having been an important member of her college alumni association. Besides, she always smiles and tries to be in a good mood when she goes out. Maybe that is why people think that she is mentally stronger than she really is as, for instance, she raised my brother and I alone for five years in France, separated from my father as he had to work in Korea. She is an extraordinary mother as she devoted her life only for us, always thinking about and for us, giving us the most delicious dinner every day and riding us to school or private institutes without any complaints. Yet, I heard her frequently telephoning to my father telling him our daily life or whatever happened that day by crying or with furor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides, many people believe that my mother and I are in good relationship but actually we are not always. We still argue, sometimes even fight because we both have tough temper. But one thing is clear. I am always the one who apologizes first because I love her and respect her. I do not want her to get hurt or be in a bad mood. By the way, people see great resemblance between my mother and me not only in our appearance such as the shape of the faces, the big dark eyes and our long straight brown hair style but also in minds. Our hobbies and tastes in many different things match. Specifically, I love skiing and watching movies and amazingly she does too. I love to listen to pop music and she is also a big fan. We also love to go to delicious restaurants to eat tasty food which is a great pleasure for us particularly if these are traditional or local Korean food. Additionally, we never forget to take plenty of pictures with our smartphones which annoys greatly my father and my little brother as they like to eat hot dishes.

    My mother’s unique negative point is that she is sometimes a rollercoaster with her close family. Though, I can perfectly understand her because it is nearly impossible to be always positive and lovely with everyone. But the problem is that her mood changes so rapidly and extremely once in a while that it is quite difficult to consult her pleasure; something that was okay for her one day becomes a great error another day. Even though she occasionally gets some mood swings, she is, in my eyes, a nearly perfect and extraordinary mother as I believe that no one could be more charming than her! Not only is she beautiful, healthy and young but she also always cares about the others and wants to help them at any cost.

    ReplyDelete